The National Center for the Prevention of Home Improvement Fraud is coming to Houston on December 2nd to hold their SmartPower workshop “Protecting Yourself from Home Repair Fraud and Scams” to help protect flood victims from becoming victims of home repair/rebuild fraud and scams.
At the workshop, flood victims will empower themselves by learning how to work with contractors to rebuild or repair their homes including how to find contractors, how to vet them, what should and should not be in the contract, how to set up payment schedules so the contractor cannot rip you off, insurance issues they may not be aware of, what to do before, during and after a project, and a whole lot more.
The event is free and open to the public.
The National Center for the Prevention of Home Improvement Fraud has secured the following speakers to date:
• Houston Councilmember Larry Green
• Daniel Zwart, Consumer Protection Division, Texas Attorney General
• Jesse McClure, Special Prosecutor, Texas Department of Insurance
• Albert Raymond, Building Official, City of Houston
• Officer Chudy Onwuka, Houston Police Department
• Elliott Klein, Esq., Local Houston Attorney